Hi everyone! Welcome back!
Today, I went over to visit my parents. I tried to help my Dad with his computer issues and gave my Mom a makeover/makeup lesson. Yet, for me, the most emotional part of the visit was seeing my Ebony.
Ebony and I have always had a special relationship. My parents adopted her from out local SPCA. She had been brought back at least once, maybe twice. We bonded from the first and I cried when I moved out and I wasn't allowed to take her with me. She came to visit me when my Dad did, once a month, while I was living in Binghamton, NY. She knew when they got close enough that she'd perk up.
She had a totally different name when we got her, but it has been so long that I can't remember what it originally was. She is a black lab mix, but we're not sure what the other parts may be. We've had her for years, she's a senior dog now, but I think she's at least 12 or 13, maybe older.
Ebony makes huffy noises in her sleep. She loves to bury her head in your lap, leg, chest, places like that. She is very protective of us, barking at any threat, real or imagined. I think she is more of a cuddle monster than my cat, Nicky. I could sit there and pet her the whole time that I'm there and she'll still want more. When I have to leave, she still looks at me and begs me to stay with her eyes.
There is no type of unconditional love like dogs have for us. I can't begin to tell you how special she makes me feel. It is a different relationship than I have with Nicky. Ebony makes me feel like I hung the moon. Nicky keeps me grounded. Yet, I have no idea what I'd do without either one of them.
I call her Eb, Eb dog, Ebeneezer, Ebonia, and Ebony. I have a dumb song that I sing to her, telling her how beautiful she is to me.
I'm really worried about her. She's been in two dog fights with my parents' other dogs this month and she's pretty beaten up. Today, she barely moved for the first few hours that I was there. She is clearly in a lot of pain from her injuries. Mom gave her a different pain medicine and she was up and walking around by the time I left. Hopefully, the vet will be able to see her tomorrow. I'll be honest, if it is the best thing to put her to sleep, I'll be heartbroken, but I'll know she'll be pain-free. My poor girl has had problems with her back legs before, but this really made things much worse. I just want my baby to have the quality of life she deserves. What I saw tonight, before Mom gave her the different pain pill, was awful. She could barely move and, when she did, her back legs couldn't support her very well. I hope to have decent news after work. I love you, my beautiful Eb dog.

This is a very touching blog. Why did the other dogs fight with her? I know this has been a difficult time and I want you to know that I have been thinking of you. Lots of love and hugs coming your way.
ReplyDelete