Sunday, January 10, 2016

Ways to save money while responsibly building your makeup collection and other tips

Hi and welcome back!

Today, I'm going to go over some tips, tricks and ideas on how to responsibly build your makeup collection while saving money.  Nothing is new or earth shattering, but it can be nice to have everything in one place.

Let's start with Ebates.  Ebates is a website that, once you register there, will give a certain percentage back to you off of purchases to participating websites, as long as you remember to go to Ebates first. There is also a new cash back button feature that you can press when you get to the website and it will activate the cash back bonus available for that website.  I was on the Ulta.com website, which is a participating partner with Ebates.  All I did was clock on my Ebates cash back button and it opened up a ticket for my savings and then the Ulta website came back, saying I was now going to earn 3% on this order from Ulta.  Now, I know it sounds too good to be true.  There isn't a membership fee or anything else.  At the end of every three months, they will send you a check or put it on your Paypal account.  It really is that easy.  I'm including my Ebates referral link, in case you want to register, but you don't have to use it.  You can always just go to www.ebates,com. If you do use my link, I get a bonus for referring you.

Now that you have Ebates, let's shop!  One of the best things that you can do is to check out both QVC.com and HSN.com.  They often run special kits and easy payments, which break down the total price and shipping into 3 or 4 monthly payments.

For example, Mally Beauty currently has a set called Mally 5 piece BB brightening and beyond collection.  It includes: your choice of color of her Face Defender BB Cream Foundation in SPF 15 (fair, light, medium, tan or rich), 24/7 illuminating blush in lighter or deeper (it is chosen for you depending on the color choice of foundation), a light wand eye brightener, a double ended brush and a foundation brush.  The total cost for this kit, including shipping, is currently $61.00.  If you purchased everything separately, it would be $105.00.  The Face Defender BB Cream Foundation with the brush is $48.00 on QVC.com and Mallybeauty,com.  On Ulta.com, the Face Defender BB Cream Foundation by itself is $40,00.

Most times, both QVC and HSN will give the brand's brush with the product.  IT Cosmetics offers the product both with and without the brush, but the price difference is usually so small, that it is worth it to pay the extra to get the brush as well.  I love the IT Cosmetics brushes and have gotten most of them with products on QVC,  Here's another example:  IT Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination alone is $38.00, with shipping.  If you get it with the brush, it is $46.50.  The brush alone is $39.50. These prices reflect the $3.00 shipping price per item on QVC.com.

HSN also has great deals and easy pay,  Today, I found a great deal for one of my friends there.  Right now, the new Too Faced Chocolate Bon Bons Palette with Glamour guide is $49.00, but you can also get it on FlexPay for three payments of $16.33 a month plus tax, with FREE shipping.

Another thing to consider, is that QVC and HSN have some of the hottest makeup brands out today, many are giving exclusive kits and deals.  Some of the popular brands they feature are: Too Faced, IT Cosmetics, BECCA, Smashbox, Trish McEvoy, Serious Skincare, Lancome, bareMinerals, Tarte, WEN, Clarisonic, First Aid Beauty, Julep, and many others.

Another stop on the list are staples for most people,  I'm talking about Sephora and Ulta.  Both companies have programs for their customers that spend certain amounts in a year.  They both also have very different reward systems. Membership is free in both reward programs.

Sephora starts all of their shoppers at the Beauty Insider status.  At this status, you qualify for a birthday gift, free beauty classes, product rewards and seasonal promotions.  If you spend $350.00 in a calendar year, you become a Very Important Beauty Insider.  This gives you all of the beauty insider benefits, first dibs on new products, seasonal VIB-only gifts, advanced access to sales and private VIB-only shopping events.  If someone spends over $1,000.00 a year, they become VIB Rouge, VIB Rouge is their top level and provides: all benefits of both BI and VIB, free two day flash shipping on all orders within the US, unlimited access to the beauty studio, exclusive Rouge events and special gifts.

Sephora has a points-based system that gives you 1 point for every dollar spent on merchandise.  Gift cards, egift certificates, and tax/shipping are not eligible for points.  Once you've earned those points, you can redeem them for 100 points deluxe samples, 250 points limited edition obsessions and 500 points curated product sets. Points don't expire, so they can be built up.

Ulta has what they call their Ultamate Rewards program.  Members get 1 point for every dollar they spend and have the following benefits: earn points for each purchase and salon service in-store or on Ulta,com, redeem points as soon as you have 100 towards any item in-store or on Ulta.com, receive member-exclusive magazine up to fifteen times a year, receive member-exclusive offers worth up to $75.00 a year, earn points faster with special bonus-points offers, member-exclusive events, free birthday gift and earn double points for all purchases made during your birthday month. Once you spend $450.00 in a year, you become a platinum member. Platinum members get 1.25 points for every dollar they spend, receive all of the member benefits, and get an extra birthday gift.  Points do expire a year and one quarter after they are earned, but can be easily tracked on Ulta.com/rewards, on your receipt and in your email statement.

I will be honest and tell you that, since Ulta redid their points program, I shop more at Ulta than Sephora.  While I appreciate being able to get up to three samples, including perfumes, in a visit, exchanging points for deluxe-size samples just isn't as appealing to me as being able to exchange my points for money off of my purchase.  What I end up doing is going to Ulta for everything that I can that they carry,  The rest of the products that I want, I go to Sephora for or make an order at Sephora.com.

Now, on to the other tips that I have for you!

I keep current with sales and reviews mainly through two blogs: Nouveau Cheap and Musings of a Muse.  I also belong to the What's up in makeup facebook group and app.  I watch many different You Tube channels, but my favorites are: emilynoel83, Flory Sparks, Robin's Cup of Tea, Jen Luv's Reviews, LittleMissChrista, LipglossLeslie, Melissa Parada, Kalei Lagunero, Stephanie Walt, and TotalMakeupJunkie101.  I have more in my subscription list, but these are the ones that I have email notifications for, because I want to know that they've updated asap.

One last resource that I've found extremely helpful is findation.com.  All you need to do is put in the brand, name, and color name of up to three of your foundations and the website will give you a huge list of all of the shade names that you'd be closest to in many different brands and formulas.

Please keep in mind that this is just some suggestions based on what works for me.  I hope that, if you decide to try any of these, that they work for you as well!  **hugs** Until next time, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. Lots of great tips!!! My motto #dontpayfullprice Thanks for the shout out!!!💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete